Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy Mooncake Festival!

Picture from Le Petit Connoisseur

 Ok we all know that it's the Mid-Autumn Festival. I've been excitedly stuffing myself with mooncakes whenever I get a glimpse of a new box of mooncakes at home.

The double-yolk, the 4-yolk traditional mooncakes, green tea, wu-xiang.. All traditional mooncakes. And my mum also bought a mango-pomelo mooncake from Goodwood Park Hotel.

This time, Dearie brought a box of durian mooncakes for my family. It's the best durian mooncake I ever had - Black D24 Durian Snowskin, from Home's Favourite.

The 100% real durian flesh is wrapped in a charcoal snowskin, garnished with slight gold flakes. I don't know about you, but the charcoal and gold exterior looked very appetising to me. Just look at the creamy golden fillings omg I just want to eat somemore.

Picture from Divine-Cafe
My uncle used to buy pomelos and scrape out the interior, curve delicate patterns on the shell and stick a candle in the middle. It's a Chinese "Halloween" lantern. Then the kids will be excitedly running around with sparklers or just waiting for the time to burn our lanterns. (We felt silly walking around with a lantern that was bound to get burnt sooner or later.)

My parents used to bring us to Chinatown to look at the gigantic installations disguised as lanterns. And we will talk them into buying us all the super oily but delicious fried dumplings, redbean pancakes and onion pancakes.

This year, there was no special celebration of the festival. No lanterns, no sparklers, no excited kids running around, no burning lanterns, and no burning pomelos.

I was stuck at home with cramps and a fever, while my Blast! juniors and dancers celebrated this, also Zhiwen's farewell,  after class at the UCC. I am sure they were excitedly running around with sparklers and candles, and forming alphabets by waving the sparklers around frantically.

All these memories.

I don't want to leave school, I don't want to graduate!!!


 月饼节快乐 everyone! Eat more mooncakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment